For more information, or to sign up a volunteer, please send a message to
grayling @ nlft.org
Northern Lights Fly Tyers/TUC Edmonton has an opportunity to get involved in a project to study the Arctic Grayling. Arctic grayling are truly a special fish, but in much of the southern portion of their range, their vulnerability to development, harvest, and changing landscapes have rendered their populations fragile and in need of special care.
- Use environmental DNA (eDNA) techniques to confirm the presence of Arctic Grayling in selected streams/reaches. Water samples will be collected and analyzed at approximately 36 sites. eDNA will provide a high degree of confidence in grayling distribution knowledge which will influence future management actions.
- Determine Arctic Grayling presence in a previously non-surveyed reach of Rat Creek. Analysis of satellite imagery has identified potential spawning/rearing habitat in this area based on the presence of several well-developed riffle/run/pool sequences. In addition, tissue samples for ageing and DNA analysis will be collected.
- Continue water and air temperature monitoring program.
- Aerial videography of sites using a camera-fitted quadcopter
- Assess & delineate key habitat areas
- Document habitat restoration needs & opportunities
- Wildlife cameras to assess extent of illegal angling.
This project is financially supported by the Alberta Conservation Association.
In addition, club members will be volunteering with an Arctic Grayling research project that is aiming to collect tissue samples and photograph 400 Arctic Grayling in Northern Alberta. The goals of the research project are to:
- Collect photos and tissue samples from 400 graying, establishing a database of meristic and morphometric measures
- Quantify phenotypic differences between fish that have been genetically assigned to Beringia or Nahanni lineages
- Discuss the need for taxonomic revision of Thymallus and resulting conservation and management implications
2011-2021 project activities
Visit this page for information about previous phases of our project.